"The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:3-5

About Me

Oregon, United States
I am a happy, Christian, wife and post-homeschooling mother. I have spent the last several years homeschooling and now I am "adjusting" to a new season of life as "empty nester". In 2010 we moved to be Host/Caretakers at a Bible Camp. We look at our ministry here as preparing the way for the gospel to be shared as well as encouraging believers in their daily walk. I am a farmgirl at heart and love the country, I love gardening and food preserving. I also, love tea parties!! I also have a Titus 2 heart and want to share with anyone willing to listen and learn. I love having friends over and teaching them how to make bread or put up pickles. And as we work, I love to encourage them to love their husbands and their children and to be Keepers at Home and all that implies and I love that you let me do that here!! Hope you enjoy visiting my farm and walking through a journey in life with me.......I hope at some point in time I can encourage you in your walk and in your home..........

Friday, August 8, 2008

Missing my Bounty................

Oh, how I long to walk out to my garden and pick and pick and bring enough of something in to do some canning.......
Nasturtiums are just getting nice and big.....those will be fun later if I do my "Garden Tea" this summer. And look, that is Chamomile jumping up all over in this box. I planted one plant of that two years ago, the plant died, but every year volunteer Chamomile comes up all over the place..... :) So hey, I do see a "Garden Tea" coming together here.....Nasturtium Sandwiches, Chamomile Tea.......yum! I have mint as well......
I am still figuring things out here when it comes to gardening in the desert.....we can have a frost as early as September, which doesn't leave much time for my little plants to get growing!! I just gave them a little boost of "manure tea".....to fertilize them, that seemed to help some,
should do that again.
I am almost embarrassed to show you, but this is the size of my plants. This is the biggest yellow zuchinni I have!!

Cherry tomatoes are looking
good, they are small enough that we can
enjoy some of these.


But this, .....this is a tomatoe flower........that is as far as my big
tomatoes have come.... :(

Then I was very happy today to finally find some snow peas....these are ready to eat!! That will be
great in a salad!!

Our house is 4 Sale, so I got a late start anyway, because I really didnt think I would be here long enough to have a garden. Next year, if I am here, I will bring in compost for the soil and get things started much earlier either inside or in a greenhouse. That really does help, a friend out here started her tomatoes in a greenhouse (that is where I got my plants) and she has hers by a wall and they are 6 feet tall!! So, I know it can be done!

So, all that to say, I have been working on my produce order today. If I want to can anything,
I will just have to order it. Sad... :(
But I am excited
to get to do some canning.

My order:

40 pounds of pickling cucumbers
60 pounds of green beans
100 pounds of tomatoes

I have some friends doing a little bit, just to learn how....looking forward to next week and our canning spree!! I will be sure and share that with you........

No comments: